View or Print a List of
All Terms by Language
Click on titles to download in PDF format
A toolkit for developing bilingual lexicons for international HIV prevention clinical trials
Authors: Catalina B. Ramirez, Natasha Mack, Barbara Friedland. Publication date: 2013.
The toolkit provides a multistep process for eliciting and field-testing culturally and linguistically valid translations of key research-related terms and concepts.
Lost in translation: Assessing effectiveness of focus group questioning techniques to develop improved translation of terminology used in HIV prevention clinical trials
Authors: Natasha Mack, Catalina B. Ramirez, Barbara Friedland, Soori Nnko. PLoS ONE 8(9): e73799. Publication date: 2013
This article reports on FHI360 research conducted in Tanzania to assess the effectiveness of four focus group questioning techniques derived from field linguistics and social science research methods for developing and verifying lexicons for use in HIV-prevention clinical trials.
Informed Consent in HIV Prevention Trials: Report of an International Workshop
Authors: C. Elizabeth McGrory, Barbara Friedland, Cynthia Woodsong, Kathleen M. MacQueen. Publication date: 2006
This is a report of a Population Council/FHI-sponsored workshop focusing on improving the informed consent process in HIV-prevention clinical trials. The workshop topics included practical issues related to developing and using tools to enhance the informed consent process, such as translations of study materials into local languages, videos, ACASI, visual aids, and training, as well as explaining difficult concepts and sensitive topics.
Informed consent in HIV prevention trials: Highlights from an international informed consent workshop Population Council. Publication date: 2008 (English)
This concise booklet presents specific strategies and tools for improving informed consent and comprehension in HIV-prevention trials, with examples from actual study settings, including explaining difficult concepts (such as placebo, sero-discordance), depicting sensitive issues (such as sexual activity), and assessing comprehension among trial participants.
The booklet is also available in the following languages:
- Consentement Éclairé dans les Essais de Prévention du VIH: Points Saillants d'un Atelier International (French)
- Consentimiento Informado en Ensayos de Prevención del VIH: Aspectos Destacados de un Taller Internacional (Spanish)
- Consentimento Informado nos Ensaios de Prevenção do HIV: Pontos Altos dum Workshop Internacional (Portuguese)
- Idhini fahamishi katika majaribio ya ukingaji wa virusi vya ukimwi: Baadhi ya maswala yaliyoangaziwa kutoka katika warsha ya kimataifa (Swahili)
- Imvume unolwazi ocwaningweni lokuvimbela igciwane lesandulela ngculaza: Umbiko ophuma emhlanganweni womhilaba (Zulu)